Groucho Marx

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
~Groucho Marx~




Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Easy Trader Joe's Chocolate Salted Caramel Cupcakes



I've already shared with you my love of Trader Joe's. Every time I enter one, I find something new.

I spent Thanksgiving with my brother and his family in Illinois and, of course, we took a trip to Trader Joe's. My brother proceeded to follow me around the store telling me I need to buy Trader Joe's brand of Chocolate Frosting mix. I really didn't want to because no matter what I make, I always make my frosting from scratch, it's easy and it tastes better than any store bought kind. But after having my brother follow me down three aisles, telling me how awesome this frosting was, I broke down and bought it. I also found a jar of Fleur de Sel Caramel Sauce. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it, but I felt the need to buy it.

I had to go in to work on a Sunday evening, so I decided to bake something to take in with me. I didn't feel like going all out and getting all fancy, so I started with yellow cupcakes from a mix. I was out of vegetable oil, but I did find cinnamon applesauce in the fridge. Just let me say, that from now on, whenever I make a cake from a mix, I am using cinnamon applesauce. It adds a subtle cinnamon flavor that just deepens the flavor of the cake. So good!

I quickly whipped up the Trader Joe's Frosting mix. All it called for was 1 stick (4oz) of softened butter and enough hot water, added 1 tablespoon at a time, to get the right consistency.

I have to admit, the frosting was very good. Creamy and chocolaty, a great consistency. It won't replace my chocolate buttercream, but definitely something I'll use again.

I microwaved the caramel sauce for about twenty seconds (I stirred it after 10 seconds) so that it was thin enough to spread easily.

I spread a little bit of frosting on each cupcake, then used my Wilton #18 tip to pipe a ruffled edge, and then spread about a teaspoon of caramel sauce on top.

These cupcakes worked up very quickly and were so delicious!

I'm planning on going to a Trader Joe's again this coming weekend. I'll be sure to look around for something new to bake.

No comments:

Post a Comment