Groucho Marx

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
~Groucho Marx~




Friday, December 17, 2010

Baking With Stonewall Kitchen



Stonewall Kitchen is a wonderful company known for their amazing jams, sauces and chutneys. I'll be honest with you, the prices of their products do tend to run a bit high, but the flavor makes it worth every penny.

Last weekend, I was at National Harbor where I was delighted to find a Stonewall Kitchen store. My cousin had never been in one of their stores, so I dragged her in and introduced her to the amazing flavors. As usual, they had several items set out to sample and my two favorites were Caramel Apple Butter and Raspberry Liqueur Hot Fudge Sauce.

Being who I am, I had to come up with something to bake with these. The first thought was thumbprint cookies. They're easy and delicious. But I didn't want to that with both sauces. So I got on Stonewall Kitchen's website and looked through their recipes for inspiration.

I decided to take their recipe for Black Raspberry-Filled Sugar Cookies and tweaked it for use with the Caramel Apple Butter and their recipe for Thumbprint Jam Cookies and used the Raspberry Liqueur Hot Fudge Sauce.

Caramel Apple Butter Filled Sugar Cookies





I cheated a little with the sugar cookies, I had premade refrigerated dough

that I rolled out and cut into 3" circles.

I laid the circles on the baking sheet and spooned just under a teaspoon of the apple butter into the center of each circle.


Then I put another circle of dough on top, crimped the edges with a fork and poked holes in the center. I sprinkled cinnamon sugar on top and popped them in the oven.


These cookies are amazing, probably the best I've made in a long time! The cookies were crisp and tasted like little apple pies. I can't wait to make them again.



Raspberry Liqueur Hot Fudge Sauce Thumbprint Cookies




The recipe I used from Stonewall Kitchen's website was like a shortbread cookie made with finely chopped walnuts. After making the dough and refrigerating it for an hour, I rolled the it into 1 inch sized balls. I then used a 1/4 teaspoon and pressed a "thumbprint" into each cookie.


I didn't really measure how much hot fudge sauce I put in the indentation, it wasn't more than a 1/4 teaspoon.


A couple of the cookies I overloaded and the sauce spilled over the edge in the oven. They looked messy, but tasted great. They made for good test cookies.


Both of these cookies tasted great and were very easy to make. There was also plenty of left over apple butter and hot fudge sauce to come up with new uses for. And every chance I get to visit a Stonewall Kitchen, I will and I'll come up with new, delicious ways to use their products.

No comments:

Post a Comment