Groucho Marx

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
~Groucho Marx~




Sunday, November 14, 2010

I Am Not A Recipe Snob (aka: Making Chocolate Cakesters)



I love baking. Everyone who knows me, knows this. My favorite part of baking is the challenge, I really enjoy making up new recipes or finding a difficult one and making it work.

Because of that, people tend to think I'm a recipe snob, that I don't make things from a mix or using mixes. That is not true. Sometimes the simplest recipes are the most delicious.

I mentioned last week on Facebook that I was starting my holiday baking. One of my cousins mentioned she was doing the same and listed some of the cookies she made. One of which was Chocolate Cakesters. Curious, I asked her for the recipe.

It couldn't be simpler, or more delicious.



For the Cookies:
2 (18.25 oz) Boxes Devil's Food cake mix
1 Cup Shortening
4 Eggs

For the Filling:
8oz Cream Cheese, Room Temp
1 tsp Vanilla
1 cup butter, Room Temp
1 lb (approx 4 cups) powdered sugar, sifted

Cookies:

~Preheat the oven to 350.

~Mix together the cake mixes, shortening, and eggs



~Roll the dough into small balls, about quarter sized. My cousin recommended flattening them slightly, which I did.



~She also recommended baking the cookies for 5-6 minutes, I baked them a little longer (it depends on the oven) to about 8 minutes.

~Let cookies cool on racks





Filling:



~Blend together the butter and cream cheese.

~Add Vanilla.

~Add powdered sugar, a little at a time, until well blended.


Assemble:



~Spread a bit of icing on the flat bottom of one cookie, lay another on top to create a sandwich.

~Roll the edge in sprinkles (optional, but fun)

See! Quick, easy recipes can be just as delicious as challenging recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment