Groucho Marx

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
~Groucho Marx~




Sunday, August 29, 2010

Knitted Breast Cancer Awareness "Ribbons"



I am always looking for small projects to carry with me, something quick and easy to make. When it's something meaningful or something I can give as a gift, all the better.

Every October we see more and more pink to raise awareness of breast cancer. I love this easy and new way to show your support.


All you need is yarn, double pointed needles, matching thread, and pin backings. Buttons are optional, but I liked the detail they added. I chose this yarn because it has a very pretty sheen to it. It's thicker than finger weight, but not quite sport weight.

I-cords are very easy and quick to knit and, as I play around with them, I'm finding more and more uses for them. I didn't measure the length I just knitted until I folded it into a ribbon shape and liked the size.

For the "ribbon" on the left, I used size 3 needles and for the one on the right I used a size 4 needle. For both, I casted-on 4 stitches. These are very easy to customize, using different thicknesses of yarn, different sized needles and number of stitches. They can be any size you like, play around with them.



When the I-cord is the length you like, fold it into a ribbon shape and sew it in place. I sewed it in place while sewing on the button and pin backing. And there, in less than an hour, you have a pretty, new way to show your support to an important cause!

Another wonderful thing about these knitted "ribbons" is that you can make them for any meaning just by changing the color of the yarn:
Yellow = Support Our Troops
Red = AIDS Awareness
Purple = Domestic Violence Awareness
Orange = MS Awareness

So the next time you're looking for a quick, easy, meaningful project, pick up some double pointed needles and make a knitted "ribbon".

No comments:

Post a Comment